Posted: Thursday 20th June 2024

Tigers pipped at the last.

The Tigers lose out to The Robins after a Jez Litten drop goal late on.


The visitors got us underway at The Jungle, a high boot was collected by Innes Senior and Cas were ready to get started.


Rowan Milnes’ defensive effort within minutes put Cas in good field position forcing the error from Ryan Hall.


Jason Qareqare thought he was close to opening the game but referee Aaron Moore gave obstruction and a penalty was awarded to The Robins.


 Cas hit the front after 13 minutes through former KR man, Sam Wood. The centre leaped high and caught Milnes’ kick before dotting down.


Some Mikey Lewis magic allowed Hull to hit back as the England international broke through and found Tom Opacic on the inside.


Minutes later Elliot Minchella put The Robins in front as Jez Litten broke the Tigers defence and found Minchella on the inside.


Sylvester Namo came off the bench and made an instant impact with a crunching tackle, the PNG man then came within inches of scoring before losing the ball from an offload.


Peta Hiku went over for Hull KR from a great play from Niall Evalds however, obstruction was given, and Cas were let off the hook keeping them within six points.


It was a tight first half between the two sides after the opening 40 minutes. Hull KR were in the lead 6-12 after a quality contest.


It was a forceful start to the first half for Craig Lingard’s men as Cas’ strong defence forced the error from Tanginoa.


This led to Sylvester Namo crashing over for what he thought was his first Castleford try since signing in 2024. Unfortunately, his effort was knocked on over the line as a stray leg stopped him in his tracks.


Matty English was hit high in an incident similar to Cain Robb’s yellow card against Wigan Warriors however nothing was given.


The Fords were then penalised for a high shot moments later and Mikey Lewis took the two points to go eight points ahead with half an hour to play but Lewis was unsuccessful as his conversion went wide.


Peta Hiku’s effort in the second half was sent up the video referee as no try after being held up by Alex Mellor, a close call for Cas but they once again held out The Robins.


It was another former KR man who crossed over to put the scores level, Rowan Milnes received a Joe Westerman pass that allowed him to throw a dummy and brush off Mikey Lewis in the process.



Cas were gifted an opportunity 35 metres out when Mikey Lewis’ kick attempt was deemed as a knock on. Unfortunately, a loose pass from Westerman squandered the chance for Cas.


Jez Litten put The Robins in front with 5 minutes to play through a drop goal 10 metres out.


Cain Robb gave Cas a glimmer of hope after forcing the error with 2 minutes to play but a Sylvester Namo error from the play of the ball blew another Tigers chance.



A huge effort from our Tigers against Hull KR but The Robins run away with the spoils after a late Jez Litten drop goal. A spirited performance but unfortunately not enough to get over the line.




























Castleford Tigers: Tex Hoy, Jason Qareqare, Corey Hall, Sam Wood, Innes Senior, Rowan Milnes, Jacob Miller, George Griffin, Liam Horne, Joe Westerman, Alex Mellor, Elie El Zakhem, George Hill.


Interchanges: Sam Hall, Sylvester Namo, Cain Robb, Matty English.


Tries: Wood, Milnes


Conversion: Milnes x2




Hull KR: Niall Evalds, Jack Broadbent, Peta Hiku, Tom Opacic, Ryan Hall, Tyrone May, Mikey Lewis, Sausaso Sue, Jez Litten, Jack Brown, Dean Hadley, Kelepi Tanginoa, Elliot Minchella.


Interchanges: George King, Sam Luckley, Matty Storton, Danny Richardson.


Tries: Opacic, Minchella


Conversion: Lewis x2


Drop Goal: Litten




Golden Gamble: 24/3665


Attendance: 7897